The hardest thing you can do in life is be in a relationship with another human being. At least that’s what it seems like to me. And I maybe alone with this, but I have a sneaking suspicion that’s just not the case. And it’s the tongue that is the perpetrator of wrongs conceived in our sinful hearts. That’s a mouthful! James 3:8-9 says “no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s image.” That hits extremely hard for me. For those who know me personally, I have a tongue that is sharper than any kitchen knife I’ve ever come across and I have some nice ones in my house too. A life lived in obedience to our heavenly father includes control of the tongue. And as I have found in other areas of my life where I come up short again and again in the self-control department, I just can’t do it! And that is the very place where God can take over. The point where I declare bankruptcy. Allowing Him to tame my tongue. Asking His help in situation where it’s about to fly out of the mouth and inflict injury upon my fellow man (and yes, that’s usually the male of the species…more specifically the one I declared my undying love to more than two decades ago;-). Building 429’s lead verse comes to mind, which is found in Ephesians 4:29 (get it?) “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”
Amen! And with this, I shut up! Thank you, Jesus!
No comments:
Post a Comment