Sunday, September 12, 2010

A lesson learned

I learned another valuable lesson yesterday. You’d think I should have said ‘today’ since I was in clinical today, but no, I meant ‘yesterday’. Since my lesson did not have to do with becoming a nurse, but becoming an obedient follower of Christ. At times I feel like I have to pull something through, against the odds, forcing it to work out. And those goals I am trying to achieve are good goals. But what I realized yesterday was that it’s wrong when I try to enforce my will above God’s will. Some time ago I saw Tenth Avenue North in concert and they played maybe three songs. And I said how much I’d like to see more of them in concert. So when the opportunity presented itself last night, I planned on going. I got my clinical preparations done quickly and I was on my way. But during the drive, I was reminded that my attitude was not good. It gets aggravating when your conscience speaks to you from the back seat. But from the mouth of babes… So I told God, “I lay down my will, if you don’t want me to go, I won’t”. As I got peace about it, we came up on the exit where Baptist South is. My friend has been hospitalized there for a few days now, and I felt bad that I could not go see her, because I was going to that concert…You know where the story is going. I was no longer angry at the world around me, and I think I brightened a few people’s day, including God’s. I just have the feeling I made Him smile. The price of laying down my will=painful; God’s smile=priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment