I think we all keep an insatiable alien plant in our basement, which grows exponentially when we give in to its taunting demands for more food…you know “feed me, Seymore!” And in the story (which is weird, I know, but it seems to fit the point I’m trying to make here) the main character doesn’t want to comply, but somehow always does. And the way that a little food goes a long way reminds me of our pet sins we keep in our dark basements of our lives. Those scary plants call for us all the time. And we do well by staying away most of the time, but when we descend those dark slippery stairwells into the damp murky basement to feed our dark desires, we are strangely amazed at how quickly this sin grows into obsession. If we give the devil our pinky, he’ll take the whole hand. That’s how a strong hold develops. And this happens quickly. So starve that nasty basement dweller and watch it disappear. I heard my professor tell my patient last weekend, to stay away from sugar due to her condition, and to stick with that resolve for three days, and see if she doesn’t crave soft drinks any longer, but the water that is good for her. I think that is a great example of how we should crave God’s presence and His word in our lives. So let’s close that door leading to sin and focus on what’s good for us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcezx5Rl7sA
Watermark "Captivate us"
“Captivate us, Lord Jesus
Set our eyes on You
Devastate us with Your presence
Falling down
And rushing river, draw us nearer
Holy fountain consume us with You
Captivate us Lord Jesus, with You”
No comments:
Post a Comment