Our God is a jealous God. Love of the world negates our love for God. That's a tough concept to swallow. It's only human to want to love what's all around us. The visible, tactile, auditory surroundings we are encased in are so much more real to us than the spiritual world. But there is no excuse for those who have been saved supernaturally by Jesus' redemption on the cross. As I tell my kid lately "I don't want excuses, I want results". Maybe I've turned into a drill seargent a bit too much, but it's true. We are full of excuses when we mess up. And what does it mean when it says love of the world anyway? I read this in a devotional earlier
"...[The world is]...spiritually dead; void of the Spirit (John 14:17); morally defiled; and dominated by pride, greed, and evil desires. It produces wrong opinions, selfish aims, sinful pleasures, demoralizing influences, corrupt politics, empty honors, and fickle love " (McArthur, 08/31/10 Grace To you).
That sums it up. Sin is all around us. Let us focus on whatsoever is "true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things" (Phil. 4:8).
As Aaron Shust sings in his song "Give it all away"
"Search my heart, search my mind, search my soul
Make me clean, make me new make me whole
All of my plans, all of my dreams, I lay them down before Your feet
All of my time, all that was mine, I now submit to Your design
'Cause You are the one who can make my life complete
You are the one who can give light to my feet
You are the one and only one who dared to give it all away for me
You are my strength, You are my God, you are my King
You make me laugh, You make me dance, You make me sing
Everything inside, everything outside, I give it all away
You never change, but You rearrange my heart more everyday "
No comments:
Post a Comment