Monday, August 16, 2010

God's hand is holding us

I was amazed to find online sermons from Corrie Ten Boom at my favorite online sermon website(sorry, only in German). I listened to one about being filled with the Holy Spirit. She said that when we are are cleaned from our sin, we can be filled with the Holy Spirit which will break the vicious cycle of sin and instead give us a cycle of blessings. She gave an example of visiting with seven young male inmates in New Zealand and after sharing the gospel with them, she asked them to write on a card if they made any decision. Six young men professed to believe in Jesus Christ, one did not. She asked this young man, "if you were drowning and I gave you help to save you, would you not take it?" He said, that he had tried this some time ago, but then he fell back into his bad habits and it just didn't seem worth it. Another inmate then started talking to him saying, he should read in Romans 7. Corrie Ten Boom thought, he probably means Romans 8, but the young man opened his bible in Romans 7 and he asked him, "do you know Paul, who was probably the best known missionary who wrote many letters of the new testament?Listen what Paul wrote: For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do (vs. 15-16). But listen to what it says in 1. Cor. 15:57 "But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." Don't you think we are much worse sinners than Paul?" The other prisoner asked for his response card back and wrote: Accepted Jesus as my savior. She said then she used a visual example of how God's power has to work in us, that we can never be good enough ourselves. She said, "Look at this stick, if I set it on my hand, will it stay? No. But now, does it stay?" and she said she used her fingers to hold it. It stayed. She said "It's the same with us. If we know ourselves to be in the hands of the Almighty, He can keep us from evil. If we try, and try again and fail and fail again, it's because we have not surrendered our weakness to Him. Jesus is victorious. He can keep us from sinning, if we turn to Him. We don't need a strong faith, but a strong God!" (Paraphrased from Hudson Taylor)

No comments:

Post a Comment