When the going gets tough we may feel despair. It may drive you into depression, it may zap all the energy out of your bones and you feel like Elijah where you just want to curl up and wait for death (1 Kings 19:3-5). But knowing that life sometimes is drudgery and toil is one part of the solution. The other part is focusing on what is eternal. Paul says that the difficulties we face are only temporary. We only have to suffer a little and then we’ll get our reward. Jesus talked about gathering your reward in heaven (Matth. 5:11-12, 6:1-21). We see it all over the bible. Jacob was pursuing God like it was the best prize ever. He was definitely onto something. He said to the angel he was wrestling “I will not let you go unless you bless me” (Genesis 32:26). Unlike his brother Esau who was thinking only of the earthly fulfillment of his desire to eat, Jacob knew that temporary things can only fulfill in part, but that which has eternal value will satisfy for all eternity. In Revelations 22:12 Jesus tells us “Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.” The sermon I listened to yesterday finished by saying that the reward may just be God himself. When you think about it, what is better? Nothing. The living God is incentive enough for us to live through this (at times) miserable life to gain eternity in His presence. Praising God lifts my spirits now, I can’t wait for it to be my eternal job!
http://www.onlinepredigt.de/viewtopic.php?t=881&highlight=
No comments:
Post a Comment