“...the valley is a place of fruitfulness; it is a place of testing. It is where God brings what you know in your head into your heart. The only value of knowledge is when it becomes part of your heart.” (Hillman, O. TGIF I. The God of the Valley 10/15/10)
I heard a song last night that said he wants to live like he’s in love and please God out of a strong urge to be close to Him, and not out of a requirement to obey. I am paraphrasing it terribly since I cannot remember the words, but only their meaning. This is so true. We know that we should love the Lord our God with all our hearts, minds and souls, but how does that really manifest itself? How is it possible? Like Dr. Phil likes to say, you can only white-knuckle it for so long, then you lose it. If you try to live a life pleasing to God (or what we perceive as such) we get tired quickly and default to our usual lifestyle of self-love eventually. You have only so much energy before it’s exhausted. But should be the same feeling we had when we first fell in love with our spouse. We wanted to spend every moment with them, trying to find out what makes them happy, and to please them whenever we could. That is how we should see our relationship with God. Even more so. Our priority in life should be 1. God 2. Our spouse 3. Our children. That is the proper order of our affections. So often human beings get that all mixed up. Having his truth sink into our hearts and living it out, not just knowing what we should do will change all that. Reading the above passage after praying to God about the very same thing first thing this morning brings it to life even more. I know the truth in my head, I acknowledge that this should be the case, now I need to make it part of me and live it out every day. Only God can make that a reality in our lives. How? I don’t know, because I’ve just begun my first step in this divine adventure myself. But if you keep reading my blog, I may be able to share along the way.
“You alone are God, I am yours and you’re mine. And I know the heavens will call out your name if I don’t!”
(Echoing Angels “You alone are God”)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcTi8gLy6JM
No comments:
Post a Comment