Friday, March 11, 2011

Dying to self

“When I don’t fit in and I don’t feel like I belong anywhere. When I don’t measure up to much in this life. Oh I’m a treasure in the arms of Christ. Cause I’m forgiven. And I don’t have to carry the weight of who I’ve been, cause I’m forgiven.” (Sanctus Real)

The concern about pleasing people and what they may think of us is not biblical. 1 Thess. 2:4 says "We are not trying to please people but God, who tests our hearts."
I just listened to a great sermon about the greatest commandment found in Matthew 22:37.
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."
Our heart is the problem, it always is, and until we die to self, we will continue having problems with sin. That's about it.
Sin is our love for ourselves. And loving our self is hating God. Seems like a clear conflict of interest. And so we have to die. Dying isn't easy. It's a process. And it's painful. But it is "... God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose." (Phil 2:13)
Jesus lived a life that exemplified his complete dependance on his heavenly father. He showed us what true humility looks like. He was all about his father's business, not his own fame. Could he have made a big name for himself? No doubt. Should we follow his footsteps? Absolutely. WWJD? We know that answer.

http://www.onlinepredigt.de/viewtopic.php?t=978&highlight=

No comments:

Post a Comment