Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I can do all things

Here is how good God is. After I asked earnestly for help with my unbelief earlier, God answered my prayer with this online sermon series. It is in German, so I will share the gist of it with you in English.

http://www.onlinepredigt.de/viewtopic_play.php?t=931&forumid=1&fileid=1977
Ich vermag alles (1)

http://www.onlinepredigt.de/viewtopic_play.php?t=931&forumid=1&fileid=1976
Ich vermag alles (2)


It is entitled “I can do all things” and is based on Philippians 4:13. The sermon says that we should not rely on our emotions, but believe God’s radical statements that we can do all things. This is a question of faith and has further requirements for us to align ourselves to make this a true statement. We should not allow ourselves to doubt or look on our own strength to fulfill this promise. God’s grace provides all our needs. Psalm 1 gives us some guidelines:
1) Do not sit among scoffers (do not allow negative talk)
2) Do not follow the advice of godless people (seek out godly advice)
3) Do not walk in the ways of the wicked (do not remain in sin)
And you will be able to do all things through Him who strengthens you.
In Mark 9 a man brings his demon possessed son to Jesus, but has doubt about Jesus’ ability to heal him. At the end the man says “Help my unbelief” and that’s what I did earlier today. God loves to give us the gift of faith. God knows we cannot do it by our own strength, and God knows that we lack faith at times. It is beyond human understanding what God can accomplish. We have to ask God to give us supernatural faith to help our unbelief. I love that! But when God brings about what we cannot fathom we should not underestimate the enemy either, because he will try to destroy what we have. He will try to steal our dreams and our understanding, our confidence and our faith. We have to be fully aware of this attack when we experience such wonders of God.
Complete reliance on God and knowing I cannot do anything is a liberating truth. Thank you, my God!

Bible references mentioned within the sermons:
(Per ESV)
I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
And someone from the crowd answered him, "Teacher, I brought my son to you, for he has a spirit that makes him mute. And whenever it seizes him, it throws him down, and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid…And it has often cast him into fire and into water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us." And Jesus said to him, "'If you can'! All things are possible for one who believes."
Mark 9:17-18, 22-23
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither.
Psalm 1:1-3
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1
I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.
John 15:5-8

No comments:

Post a Comment