"It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD." Lamentations 3:26
The above is my life verse. That's a weird concept, I guess, and here's the even weirder story about it:
Growing up in Germany in the Lutheran church, during our confirmation, the pastor choses a life verse for you. The pastor was not what I would call a bible believing or preaching kind of man, and I don't know if he was saved. BUT here is where God is greater than all that. God provided this verse to this pastor for me, and it has followed me thus far. Even to today's blog...
God has promised to take care of all of our needs. That includes our physical needs, such as food, shelter and clothing as well as our emotional and spiritual needs. When we believe God to be truthful, we also believe His words to be true. So we have acknowledged the validity of the source of these promises. And we know God is not fickle, but he is faithful and trustworthy. These are character traits that are confirmed throughout the Bible. Why, then, do we find ourselves again, and again questioning IF God’s going to come through with his promises to fulfill our needs and (godly) desires? And maybe I should say WHEN is he going to do it? We become hasty in our expectations. And this may lead to sin. Attempting to satisfy our needs and desires our own way IS sin. This is a rebellious act of us trying to take matters out of God’s hands and fudge it ourselves. And that’s pretty much all we can come up with. It’s going to be something much less than what God had in mind for us. But as we see in the story of Abraham in the bible, God is still faithful to keep his promises. Even after we mess up. Better to just wait patiently for God, and let Him provide us with what He has in mind for us. The consequences of our sin may linger, if we don’t. The older I get, the more I know, and I can’t produce anything of worth. It is God who produces good things in us. All we now have to do is wait. I’m ok with that.
Thank you God for your long suffering.
(I was inspired to write this blog entry after listening to this sermon
http://www.churchcloud.com/ocean-park-baptist-church/sermon/reasons-to-be-thankful-god-always-keeps-his-promises/
References for sermon: Lam. 3:22-26, 1 john 5:18-22, Hebr. 11:8-12, Titus 1:1-3)
No comments:
Post a Comment